Saturday, May 22, 2010

Warm Fuzzies for Breakfast: Quiche Lorraine Au Fromage


This recipe is one of my faves and stemmed from my mom and some new family traditions. My parents are divorced so I have the joy of spending quality time, one on one, with both of my parents on holidays. I have one amazing brother, who has an even more amazing soon to be wifey, but they have a whole lot of activities to take part in Christmas day, so Christmas morning its just me and my mom.

A couple of years ago, my mom made this delicious quiche for our Christmas morning breakfast and it only made our little tradition that much more special. I've made it a few times for pot lucks and I often get rave reviews, but the best thing about taking that first bite is the warm fuzzy reminder of spending Christmas morning with my mama.

Quiche Lorraine Au Fromage

1 9 inch store bought pie shell
1 cup grated Swiss or 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere
4-6 slices cooked bacon
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk or 1 1/2 cup light cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper or white pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp butter cut up into small squares

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread cheese and bacon in pie shell. Lightly beat eggs and milk. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and pour into pie shell. Distribute butter squares over top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 4-6.

photo by Dorling Kindersley
recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment