Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Deliciously Simple Weeknight Meals: Asian Steak Salad


The hubs recently said to me, "we should eat healthier". I have to say I was kind of surprised because we eat pretty healthy. But I think what he meant (I'm still working on deciphering the language of the hubs- I'll get it in time) was that he wants more salad. Being that I know my hubs very well, I know by salad he meant, "gimme salad, but don't forget the meat!" And thus I stumbled upon a new addition to my deliciously simple weeknight meals: Asian Steak Salad.

This dish is super easy, inexpensive and uber delish- 3 of my most favorite things in a weeknight meal. Flank steak is tender when broiled and you only have to marinate it for about 10 minutes to get the flavor deep into the meat. The best part about this dish is that it takes so little time, you can make it after a long day at work and still have plenty of time leftover to spend some quality time with your favorite people or pooches.

Asian Steak Salad with Cucumber and Napa Cabbage

1/4 cup fresh limed juice (2 limes)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
red pepper flakes to taste
1 garlic clove, crushed through a press of finely minced
1 pound flank steak
1/4 cup soy sauce
cooking spray
1/2 head napa cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
1 english cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts

In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, vinegar, oils, red pepper flakes and garlic.

Pierce steak allover with a fork. Place in shallow dish or resealable plastic bag and pour soy sauce and half of lime juice mixture over steak (reserve half for dressing for salad). Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes (or overnight in fridge).

Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and place steak on baking sheet. Broil without turning until medium rare, 8-10 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice (about 1/2-1 inch thick) across grain.

In a large bowl toss cabbage and cucumbers with reserved dressing. Divide among plates and top with steak and peanuts.

recipe and photo a la Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment