Sunday, May 16, 2010

Game Day: Bring on the Chicken Wings


It's game day in my house which means the Yankees are on. I have to say, as much as I love to see Derek Jeter's beautiful face on my giant television, I hate baseball season. Now, now, don't start thinking that I'm an awful wife because I don't let the hubs enjoy a little sports from time to time. I'm totally fine with a little sports being watched in my house. But do you know how often teams play each other in baseball? I swear, the Yankees are on EVERY day. Not only do they play all the time but it seems like just when the season ends, its starting up again. But alas, instead of being a crabby wife, I try to embrace it, as much as possible. One of the best ways I've found to embrace baseball season is by enjoying my Uncle Jim's homemade chicken wings.

These aren't your typical buffalo style chicken wings but are actually soy sauce based so they have a slightly sweet, slightly salty, slightly soy flavor and they are delicious. They were one of my favorite things growing up. I loved going to family parties when Uncle Jim made wings. Between those and the shrimp cocktail that was sure to be on the table, I was a very happy little girl. I've actually taken to making them for my own parties and people eat them right up. My guests are pleasantly surprised at the nontraditional wing flavor.

Uncle Jim's Chicken Wings

3 lbs chicken wings
3 tbsp oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup cooking sherry
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp ginger
green onions (for garnish and can cut up a few to add to the wings during cooking if you wish)

In a 5 qt. saucepan over high heat cook chicken in oil, approximately 7 minutes. Add soy sauce, sherry, ketchup, sugar, and ginger. Stir to blend. Cover and cook 25 minutes. Uncover and cook about 10-20 minutes until sauce is reduced, stirring frequently.



recipe courtesy of my Uncle Jim Trow
photo by Susie M. Eising

No comments:

Post a Comment