Sunday, May 9, 2010

Homemade Mustard From My Mama- Happy Mother's Day!



Happy Mother's Day to all you pretty little modern housewives! To those of you that are mothers, I hope you enjoy your day! To those of you that will be mothers, I hope you enjoy your day! And to all of our mothers... Thank you and have a fabulous day!!

I couldn't help but post a recipe today that was passed down to me from my mother, which was passed down to her by her mother, which was passed to her by her mother. In case you lost track, that would mean this recipe was passed down from my great grandmother, Grandma May. For as long as I can remember, one of my most favorite things about our Easter Ham dinner was my Great Grandmother's homemade mustard. It's sweet, slightly spicy, and altogether delish! It's great with baked ham, good on sandwiches and would be delish as a dipping sauce at your next party for pigs in a blanket (comeon, you know you love pigs in a blanket!).

Grandma May's Homemade Mustard (circa 1939)

1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp dry mustard
1/3 cup plus 3 tbsp flour
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp tumeric

Beat egg, add salt and sugar, then mustard, flour, vinegar, and water. Cook in a saucepan until thickened. Add tumeric. Store in jar or air tight container in fridge. Makes about 3 cups of mustard.


No comments:

Post a Comment