Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Deliciously Simple Weeknight Meals: Baked Ravioli


Being a modern housewife, I'm not exactly a housewife, I actually have a job. Sometimes I love working and I love my job, other times, I'd much rather be a lady of leisure. But alas,  I've got to help the hubs pay the bills. I still love to cook even after a long day at the office (most of the time) and I love a deliciously simple weeknight meal even more. I also love raviolis so when I stumbled upon this dish from Martha I had to try it. It's now become a scrumptious addition to my weeknight dinner rotation. Thanks Martha!!

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme or oregano
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 lbs store bought raviolis
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon, until sauce is thickened and reduced to about 5 and 1/2 cups, 20-25 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook raviolis in a large pot of boiling water, just until they float to the top. Pasta will continue to cook in the oven. Drain and return to pot.

Toss sauce with pasta and pour into baking dish or gratin dish and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.

Modern Housewife Tips:
1. You can use any kind of ravioli. If you want some protein, go for meat raviolis but I prefer and love mushroom raviolis.
2. I usually mix a little cheese in with the pasta and sauce as well as sprinkle on top because, as you know, I love cheese!
3. The dish serves 4-6 but if your only making for 2, I suggest making the whole thing because it makes great leftovers.

Photo and recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I think this will be on my dinner rotation next week!

    ReplyDelete