Wednesday, July 7, 2010

San Fran Forever In My Tummy Part 2: Stuffed Poblanos

One of my favorite things about living in the bay area is the Mexican food. Being a small town girl from the Northeast, I never ate mexican food growing up, but after moving to California, I fell in love. After living out here for a bit I realized how much I love different kinds of peppers. My go to pick any time it is on the menu is definitely a chile relleno. How can I resist a delicious poblano pepper stuffed to the brim with cheese and deep fried... my mouth is watering just thinking about it and I just got back from a very fulfilling dinner!

I found this recipe from the ever fabulous Martha a year or so ago. It is a great meatless weeknight meal that isn't quite a chile relleno but does use delish poblanos and is a much healthier option being that its not packed with cheese and deep fried. Don't worry, there is still some cheese and a little cornmeal goodness, but no where near the fat filled amount of the fabulously fatty chile relleno, which unfortunately should probably be enjoyed in moderation- bummer!


Stuffed Poblanos

1 can whole tomatoes in puree (28 oz.)
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat)
2 small onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves (2 whole, 1 minced)
salt and pepper
1 can black beans (19 oz.), rinsed and drained
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 tsp ground cumin
4 large poblano chiles, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a blender combine tomatoes in puree, jalapeno, half the onion,S 2 whole garlic cloves and puree. Season with salt. Pour sauce into a baking dish and set aside.

In a medium bowl combine beans, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onion, minced garlic, cumin, and 3/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper.

Dividing evenly stuff poblano halves with a portion of the bean mixture. Place on top of sauce in baking dish. Sprinkle poblanos with remaining half cup of cheese. Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake about 45 minutes. Uncover and cook until sauce is slightly thickened and cheese is browned, 10-15 minutes more. Makes about 4 servings.

photo and recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing!! I can't wait to try this on my next domesticated evening at home. Wish we were closer to make it together! xo

    ReplyDelete