Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cooking For One: Savory French Toast BLT


The hubs is travelling for business this week which means I'm cooking for one the next few days. I actually kind of enjoy making dinner just for me because I can be a little selfish and I can make anything that sounds good to me, and only me. I do think it can be difficult though to come up with a yummy dinner that is easy to make just enough for one person without having way too much leftover. But, a warm, savory sandwich is perfect on a cool night and you can easily control your portions so that you aren't left with way too much after you enjoy.

I found this recipe from Martha Stewart a couple weeks ago and I've been dying to try it but I knew the hubs wouldn't be much of a fan, therefore tonight was the perfect opportunity! I absolutely love french toast and I absolutely love BLT's, so to me, this was a match made in heaven! I altered Martha's recipe a little since I consider myself really great at making both BLT's and french toast and also since I was cooking for just me. Below is my version as well as a link to Martha's version in case you'd like to compare and contrast. I know it sounds a little funky, but seriously, give it a shot! SO delish!

P.S. The yummy little green nuggets in the background of the photo above are homemade bread and butter pickles made by my mama. It's my grandmother's recipe and if I ever get the recipe then maybe one day I'll share with you!

Savory French Toast BLT

2-3 slices thick cut bacon
about 1/4 to 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
2 eggs
1/2 cup cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp butter
2 slices crusty bread
a couple lettuce leaves
2 slices tomato
mayonnaise, optional

Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon to pan and just enough maple syrup to lightly coat (you don't need much maple syrup at all, just basically enough to swirl in the pan). Cook bacon until just crisp, about 5 minutes, turning half way through.

Meanwhile, combine eggs, cream, chives, and salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Add bread and soak each side. In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter. Add bread and cook until golden and crisp around the edges, about 3 minutes on each side, flipping once.

Assemble sandwich with a very light layer of mayonnaise (optional), lettuce, tomato, bacon, and sprinkle any leftover chives on top. Serve warm.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment