Sunday, June 27, 2010

Let's Go Giants... Gimme Some Garlic Fries!!!

It's summer in the bay area which means while the rest of the country is enjoying sunny, warm weather; we here in San Francisco are waiting out the foggy, breezy weather for our true summer to hit; which usually isn't until about September. We do have a few sunny, warm days here and there which I think makes us even more appreciative of those warm hidden gems amongst the masses of fog.

On the warm days that the hubs, hounds and I aren't rushing to Stinson Beach, one of the things I love to do is spend the day at the ball park. Clearly, I'm running out of days to spend at the ball park in SF before we move to the farmhouse so I took advantage of one of the warm days this weekend and met up with a very old friend to go watch the Giant's lose to those darn Red Sox. Now, I'll be honest, I really couldn't care less about baseball and even had to ask the hubs who won the game as we were leaving the park last night but what I do care deeply for are the Gilroy Garlic Fries that I feel no visit to AT&T park is complete without. Lucky for me, I can still enjoy garlic fries at the farmhouse, sun or no sun, now that I've stumbled upon the exact recipe used at the ball park. 


Gilroy Garlic Fries

oil for frying (vegetable or canola)
4 large russet potatoes
1/2 cup fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch thick fries. Heat oil in a heavy duty or cast iron pot to 360 degrees. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and add garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan and add to bowl. Mix well with salt, pepper, and thyme. 

The potatoes should be fried 3 times for best results. In batches, place the raw fries into heated oil for 90 seconds. Remove and let drain. Drop fries again for 90 seconds. Remove and let drain. Drop fries in one more time, this time for 60 seconds or until fries are crisp and golden brown. While fries are still warm, toss with garlic mixture. 

Photo and recipe adapted from Garlic World

No comments:

Post a Comment