Monday, April 26, 2010

Seeing Red: Strawberry Goodness and Greens Salad


My very talented friend and creator of Plan Me Perfect, has inspired me to think strawberries. She posted to her fabulous blog twice today with incredibly beautiful strawberry goodness. Spring is in the air and that means so are strawberries. One of my fave ways to enjoy them are in salads. Now, I'm not a big salad eater but I'm trying to get more into it and this recipe definitely helps spark my interest. The dressing is also not necessarily what one would call "healthy" being that it uses an entire stick of butter, but its pretty darn delish and makes for my kinda salad! But if you wish to make it a little healthier, I think you can easily opt out about half the butter for olive oil- but please, keep some of the butter. It really adds to the flavor. I have no idea of the name of this salad or where the recipe comes from as it was passed down from my mama, but I love it and am happy to pass it on to you! Let's just call it.... Strawberry Goodness and Greens. Thanks for the inspiration, BFF!!

1 stick butter
1 pkg. ramen noodles (yes, Top Ramen- doesn't matter the flavor, your only using the noodles)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
romaine lettuce
crumbled feta or goat cheese, whichever you prefer
sliced black olives
sliced strawberries
chopped scallions

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add noodles, sesame seeds, walnuts. Cook until browned and noodles are tender, but not fully cooked. Set aside.

In another saucepan, mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar until sugar dissolves. Combine with noodle mixture and allow to cool to about room temperature.

Toss romaine, cheese, olives, strawberries and scallions. Just before serving, toss with dressing and serve remainder along side.



And how could I possibly post about strawberries without a little red pump inspiration. I die for these suede peep toes by Kate Spade. If I were a bride planning a wedding with touches of red, I would definitely wear these fab shoes!



Strawberry salad photo from Blue Studio
Kate Spade Red Peep Toe found at Nordstrom... on sale!!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww...I'm glad I could help inspire you :) LOVE the sound of this salad..just might have to make it this weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete